If your E-mail is working this way under Winblows then it was probably not
by design... but rather luck.

The "mail" entries are the default for Winblows. They are supposed to be
changed by the user to what is appropriate.

The fact that it may be working for you is attributable to the ISP's DNS
automatically appending the isp's domain to the request...

I.E. if "mail" works, it really should be set to "mail.myisp.com"
substituting the ISP's domain name for "myisp.com".

You can then enter the FULL address into Linux's E-Mail programs for both
pop
and smtp, and they should work...

thus SMTP = mail.myisp.com
     pop3 = mail.myisp.com