:~>I am a relatively experienced linux user, who is used to compiling custom
:~>kernels using tarballs from ftp.kernal.xx.org. I have installed Mandrake 7.0 to
:~>have a look and would now like to customize the kernel. The bottom line is, I
:~>would prefer to go via the tarball route rather than rpm's, but I'd like to
:~>know a little more about Mandrake before deciding.
:~>
:~>I gather from the rpm names (kernel-2.2.16-4mdk.src.rpm and
:~>kernel-linus-2.2.16-2mdk.src.rpm) that there is some customization done by
:~>Mandrake to the pristine kernel sources. How much, and do any experienced users

A lot

:~>out there have a feel for how *well* ? Also, there is a guide on mandrake.org

hee... Like, you can run a lot of hardware which does not work with
pristine kernel? supermount... And kernel-secure is a story of its own.

Anyway, you can choose, so take what suits you the best :-)

cu
        Denis
Dr. Denis Havlik                <http://www.ap.univie.ac.at/users/havlik>
Mandrakesoft            |||     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Quality Assurance      (@ @)    (private: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
visit our new discusion forum: http://linuxpole.com