On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> I just built a new system, which happens to be 100%
> SCSI (something I have never attempted before, apparently with good
> reason!).  The bios recognizes both 18GB drives as well as the scsi
> cdrom.  It boots the install cd, starts the installation, recognizes the
> aic 2940/7980, continues, and then barfs when it wants to create
> filesystems, complaining that there are no valid devices found.  Any
> idea why it might not see the hard drives?  Both drives are on the
> lvd/scsi2 channel and the cd and tape are on the legacy fast/wide
> channel.  Any help would be appreciated...  I checked the archives and
> everyone else seems to be having problems loading drivers or problems
> booting successful installations.  I get past the first problem, but die
> before the second.  I wish I could get that far...

See if there is a new bios for your motherboard. I've seen a similar
situation recently with a "production" machine where I work -- it
would SEEM to work, but then half the time it wouldn't recognize the
SCSI drives when the time came to install or boot. Flashing an
upgraded system bios seems to have fixed that.
        John