I'm installing Mandrake 7.1 and I'm trying to use XF86_FBDev because I have a S3 Trio 3D card and can't get it working with the XFree86 SVGA drivers.

I've installed the kernel with framebuffer support and modified my lilo to boot with a vesa mode of 1024x748x32bppp (0x318).

My console looks great, but I can't get my X running... I linked /etc/X11/X with /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_FBDev and changed my screen section in the XF86Config to the following:

Section "Screen"
  Driver   "fbdev"
  Device   "My Video Card"
  Monitor  "My Monitor"
  Subsection "Display"
       Modes    "default"
       Viewport   0 0
  EndSubsection
EndSection

When I call startx, it ends with the following message:
fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params

So, I changed the modes entry to "1024x768", but then the server complains because it could not find any valid mode.

Can anyone help me? I was using the same video card with previous versions of XFree (working in strange modes, but working), but now I can't figure out what to do...

Thanks!
---
Fabio Sato - [EMAIL PROTECTED]