On 1 Jul 00, at 13:22, David Comeau wrote:

> This is happening to me as well. It never happened while using any earlier
> version of Mandrake (6.0, 7.0,...). It happens after I've logged onto my
> ISP. I've used noauth, but that only works while I am root. As a user, it

Write your scripts and make those files world executable, for all the
users

> tells me that I must be root to use noauth. As well, for the first time, DNS
> is useless. Nothing can be found. I tried using ping at a prompt, and it
> just waits (looking for a DNS server).

Edit /etc/resolv.conf and check. It should look something like:
search [your_ISP's_domain]
nameserver [isp's nameserver1]
nameserver [isp's nameserver2]
nameserver [isp's nameserver3]

Also, check your default route, and turn off linuxconf if it starts
at boot. I've known linuxconf to screw up settings.

HTH
    Sthitaprajna | (at)mailandnews(dot)com