On Sun, 02 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am sending this in Windows (sob!) because I was foolish enough to try
> to upgrade my LM7.0 with the 2.2.16-9mdk kernel and XFree86 4.0 to
> LM7.1.  Now I am completely unable to startx.  I have tried
> XFree86 -config, xf86config and Xconfigurator and the result is the
> same - the hatched sceen with the x pointer is as far as I get.  xf86
> config seems to have a bug as well because it gets to the screen where
> it asks do you want to look at a list of cards and when I answer y the
> program exits to the mc screen.  Of course I am running the dreaded
> SiS6326 chip with an LG 56i monitor so I am behind the 8ball, but all
> was well with LM7.0.
> Can anyone suggest a fix which doesn't include new hardware?  Is it
> possible to "upgrade" back to LM7.0 while preserving my data - I have
> backups but it will be a pain to reinstall.  Has anyone got LM7.1 to
> work with the Sis6326 chip?  Can anyone assist please?
>
> Yours in anguish.

    Here's what I'd do.  Install a small linux-on-dos distro on
your Windoze partition, and use it to mount your 'regular' linux
root dir (/) and rescue the files you need to save.  Another way
would be to install 'explore2fs' under Windows and use it to get the
files you need to save, and move them to a Windoze directory.

   Then you can put boot from your Mdk CD and try an upgrade, but
you might have to do a re-install.

   I live dangerously and install 'cooker' rpms all the time, but
I've found it's not to good an idea to install things which are
gonna mess with a lot of library/system binary files.  You end up
with miss-matches, and a very unstable system. Like you I tried
XF-4, and also KDE2 on 7.0, ended up doing a re-install as I
outlined above. My saving grace is when I switched from RH to
Mandrake, I installed PhatLinux (back when it was Mandrake 6.0)
under Windows to preview Mandrake. Needless to say I've found it
quite handy for fixin what I manage to screw up in my 'regular'
Mandrake. I also backup all my important or personal files to a
windoze directory now as a regular practice ;->

 --
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]