«[-®ºmmë£^£ºvë§^£ºµ©4룣ë-]» wrote:

> > Depends.  What partitions did you make using Windoze FDISK?  You didn't
> try to
> > make the Linux partition with it, did you?  My suggestion would be to
> delete
> > any non Windoze partitions, and using the Mandrake install program to
> create
> > them.
>
> Yes, but i wanna have dual boot ... windoze and linux .... i'd have to
> install windoze before linux to make it easier for me, right ?

Doesn't matter, actually,  The onyl problem is Windoze over-rights the
boot-loader, so you have to boot from a disk after installing Windoze to
reinstall the boot-loader.

> ok ... my single hard disk which is 8 GB is partitioned into three ... i'd
> like hda1 (C:) to contain windoze; hda2 (D:) to contain all of the Linux
> system (which is logically divided into sub-partitions, for /root, /home,
> ...),  and lastly hda3 (E:) which contains my Mandrake 7.0 Installation
> files (since I dont have any CD ...)

Ok, for starts, I'd move the installation files off a 3 GB partition.. that's
kindof a waste... put them on the Windoze partition if you have room.  If
not, make a smaller partition for them (a CD holds 650 MB, so 700 should be
fine)

Now, delete ALL the partition on your drive EXCEPT the Windoze paritition and
the installation partition (if you're using it).  Then, the install program
will let you create partitions using Linux FDISK, which is a much better way
of doing things.

Also, I'd really suggest buying a CD.  Goto www.cheapbytes.com, you can order
CD's for 1.99 (for MDK 7.0) and 3.99 (for MDK 7.1), plus s&h.  The CD is a
lot easier to handle, and wont get erased if Windoze thrashes your hard-drive
like mine keeps doing... (thank the Gods Linux has its own hard-drive on my
machine...)

> please help me divide this 8 GB hard disk ... thank you ...

Basically, I'd keep your 3 GB Windoze partition, make a 10 MB boot partition
(if you can't get this within the first 1024 cylinders of your hard-drive, it
won't be useful anyways, so skip that).  I'd then give a third of what's left
to /home, and the rest to /.  Then again, that may not work out too well,
since I'm used to having much larger hard-drives and I have about 12 Linux
partitions for one installation.  Maybe someone else can help with this...
But what I said tends to give good results to others.  Correct me if I'm
wrong, but Mandrake 7.0 should have an option to automatically setup
partitions on your drive that work well.  I'm not sure how that works,
though, since I hand-create my partitions with FDISK.

Sean Middleditch