On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Richard Fiedler wrote:

> I have Mandrake 7.1 up and running and for maintenance purposes I want to
> log on remotely as root for telnet and ftp from another system.
>
> Right now this seems to be defeated by the system. Can I change this?

1.) Never ever login as root!
2.) If you still want it:
    - check out /etc/securetty (delete it to set all ttys as "secure")
      ("best" securetty has only one line: tty1)
    - maybe check /etc/shells (checked by ftpd for valid user shell)
    - check /etc/inetd.conf
    - check /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow
3.) on telnet and ftp your password is sent readable and unencrypted over
the net, so please (please!) use openssh:
    - ssh instead of telnet
    - scp instead of ftp

regards,
Frank

Sending unsolicited commercial email to this address may be a violation
of the Washington State Consumer Protection Act, chapter 19.86 RCW.
Das Verschicken unverlangter kommerzieller email an diese Adresse ist
verboten (LG Traunstein, 2 HK O 3755/97 vom 14.10.1997, CR 1998, 171f).

(Frank Meurer, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, PGP ID: 0x5E756DA8)