Congratulations!  Laptops are fun things to install Linux on, aren't
they.

My Toshiba Satellite 4000CDT has a few strange quirks you have to look
out for when you install, but nothing quite so picky as your NEC.

Everything goes fine, except that if I pick 800x600 LCD for the display,
I can only get 640x480 for the resolution, so I cheat and pick a generic
monitor capable of 1024x768@70Hz (what it will drive on the external VGA
port), and configure it for 800x600x24 (b&w icons in Netscape don't
bother me that much, I've actually gotten used to them).

1.)  Sound isn't configured, so I configure it.
2.)  No problems.
3.)  Shut the laptop down and take it into work the next day.
4.)  Boot up and discover that I've lost my keyboard by the time I get
to the login prompt. *
5.)  Discover that GRUB doesn't just take 'single' appended to the
commands it sends.
6.)  Tell it not to start sound during bootup.
7.)  Login as root.
8.)  'cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d'
9.)  'mv S45pcmcia S98pcmcia'
10.) 'reboot'
11.) everything works fine.

* Somebody's GOT to fix this one.  I know it has something to do with
the sound driver, because if I tell it not to start sound during bootup
I still have the keyboard until I start the sound and return to the
login prompt.

        - Theo