Torben Tretau wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, tried it but still hangs..
> Dunno, if I was wrong before with hanging on ide-scsi,
> but now it hangs on SCSI detection..
> When I ran setup in expert mode it hangs after the kernel
> has set up ide-controller..
>
> Anyone out there had similar probs with HPT 366?
>
> bye,
> Torben

LOTS of problems with Ultra66 controllers (Promise and Highpoint)
with *certain* drives.  The extra constraints on deviations from
specs caused by Ultra66 and 586 code in combination has caused a
lot of out of spec drive/chipset combos to fall over.  WD seems
to be the primary offender followed by Maxtor, Seagate and
Quantum(Bigfoot) in roughly that order, and the Intel 810, TX
Chipsets and VIA MVP4 seem to be the most vulnerable on the Mobo
side.  This data is small numbers from this list and people who
emailed me privately, but of which I have nevertheless been
tracking since February when I duplicated a "lost interrupt"
someone else was reporting by trying various hardware
combinations, and someone turned me on to http://kt.linuxcare.com
to track some hardware problems that were becoming apparent.

Still, by my count, more than 90% of the HPT and Promise combos
seem to work right out of the box with 7.1.

Civileme