I changed hard drives and installed LM 7.1b3 and found that it had only
recognized 64Mb of memory.
No problem, just add append "mem=96M" to lilo.conf, I thought to myself, HA...
I ran lilo and re-booted and the system locked at "bigmem" with a line
something like 0k available in all categories shown.
This seems kinda strange as this machine was running LM 7.1b3 perfectly until
I changed HDD's. The only difference in the installations is the X-server
version, the old HDD had XF-3.3.6 and the new one had XF-4.0

The system is:
Celeron 433 (66Mhz clock speed)
Abit mainboard
Fujitsu 10.0Gb HDD
3 - 32Mb PC-100 SDRAM modules
Soundblaster AWE32
RIVA tnt 128 video
Realtek 8129 NIC
Zoltrix 33.6 hardware internal modem

The old HDD was a Western Digital 36400 6.4Gb

Nothing has been changed on the system except the hard drive..
Is there a glitch connected to XF4.0 that trashes the mem append in lilo?
Any sugestions to fix this problem, or any work arounds?

Another thing, hardware configuration seems to always set the NIC to
I/O 220 with IRQ 5 - - - that's standard soundcard settings, hmmmmm!
I tried to change it and am only offered "-1" in either field.
Ran linuxconf and set the NIC to ne2k-pci (where I've always had it working
before), closed, applied changes, rebooted - can't start eth0.
I looked in conf.modules and removed all reference to the earlier listings,
still no go. Removed card from system, booted and removed everything from
linuxconf and conf.modules related to eth0 and ne2k-pci.
Shut down and re-inserted the card and booted the machine.
Kudzu found the card and I let it configure it and finished the startup.
Still can't start eth0. Screwed around with it until early morning and gave up.
Any ideas? Could this also be something with XFree 4.0?
I had no trouble setting up memory or NIC when using XFree 3.3.6.
I may have to go back to 3.3.6 and see if I still have the trouble.
Sorry for the long post but this is very strange and has me baffled.
 --
Ken Thompson
Electrocom Computer Services