More information, and a suggestion for curing it.

The problem is this: Mandrake sets up a computer at installation with the
hostname of localhost.localdomain. The only way I have found to edit this
is the file /etc/sysconfig/network. During boot, this file is used to set
the hostname, the contents of the file /etc/HOSTNAME, and some other
values. So far so good.

I conjecture that X uses the original hostname, stored off somewhere in
the mess of X files, to set itself up. I never have learned where that
is. Anyone know? The result appears to be that the computer's host name is
charlesc, say, but the X system thinks it is running on localhost. So I
have to run "xhost charlesc" to allow any user other than the one who
launches X to display, even on the same machine.

Suggestion to Mandrake: I believe this can be handle by having X use
localhost, not the hostname, however derived.

The relevance to ssh is this: Apparently I have to run xhost on tester
before I can log in to it over ssh, either from the same machine or from
another. I found this out by doing a clean install on tester, then
immediately installing ssh. When it didn't worked, I backtracked my
installation and customization process. I finally realized that the lack
of xterms might be related to the host name problem. So I did an xhost,
and viola! I could get xterms, and I could log in from any computer I
wanted to use.

However, I still have to run X in order to run xhost. Since part of my
interest here is in running servers without X (let 'em display on my
desktop), this limits my interest in ssh.

Another problem: the ssh man page says, "The DISPLAY value set by ssh2
will point to the server machine, but with a display number greater than
zero.  This is normal, and happens because ssh2 creates a "proxy" X server
on the server machine for forwarding the connections over the encrypted
channel." I do not see this value being set. I cannot yet run an X program
(like xclock) on tester and have it display on charlesc. As far as I can
tell, X forwarding is enabled. I see this when I log in verbosely:

debug: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley

PGP signature