On Sun, 09 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a good set of instructions for a HOW-TO to
> install a CD burner on a working system??
>
> I found a number of how-to's that describe HOW TO BURN a cd using mkiofs
> and cdrecord, but I need some instructions on how to
> ADD a cd burner to a working system.  The old CD-ROM has been replaced
> with the CD R/RW/ROM.  I tried insmod ide-scsi but cd record can't find
> it. Obiously, I did something wrong..  Any advice is welcome.
>
> Alan

    Not sure Alan, but it sounds like you're in a situation similar
to the one I found myself in a month or so ago.  I had 7.1
installed, it picked up my Ricoh 7040 and had it fully functional,
along with a BCD CDrom as master on the second IDE.  BUT then the
Ricoh died a little later. Sent it back and gotta Plex 8432.
Problem I faced, was the Ricoh would only install as slave, when I
got the Plex I made it master (2nd IDE, the BCD 40x CDrom is still
on this IDE, but as slave).

   Anyway, to make a long story short, after fsck'in around tryin
to delete/re-create the links to 'cdrom' and 'cdrom2', I just stuck
the 7.1 install CD back in, booted from it, chose upgrade, and let
it fix all that @#$!^ stuff.  Sure'nuff, on the fresh reboot, I now
have a fully functional Plex as master, BCD as slave.  Masha danki
Mandrake !!

   Hardware recognition and setup works in spite of this user ;>
   BTW, the 'upgrade' only took a few minutes ;)

   Question: I d/l mp3's with Linux, convert and burn them to audio
CD's with Windoze (Nero), and they play as such (.cda's) in every
damn piece of junk CD player I can find.  Including the 6 year old
junk Sony in my pic'up, and my grandaughter's Fisher Price toy! They
play in my BCD CDrom or the Plex CD-RW in Winblows, but not in the
same hardware in Linux,  how come??  I use high quality TaiyoyUden
blanks.
--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]