Hello once again all!
WOW! Thanks for the great response!
I regret having to communicate via Win98 as my
Linux modem is in the shop for repairs (I have a
spare "real modem" on order too), but for now am
on a "Winmodem".
I have read all the replies, and they were exactly
what I was wanting. I have a couple of ORielly volumes
on C/C++ programming, I hope to understand same real soon.
This is my second crack at learning computer programming,
my first was with my Apple][ in about 1978 or so.
I had all of 16K RAM (installed myself), and I recorded
my programs (in Apple BASIC) on audio cassettes.
I now have as much power as my college had then (almost)
an IBM 360 using COBOL. Although I don't have any of the
standard accessories: tape drives, card readers, key punch
machines, and etc.
Thanks for helping an old codger out!
vern