What is the brand/type of the reader you are trying to use?  It's possible
that the drive doesn't support audio ripping (grabbing audio faster than
1x).  My Plextor SCSI reader drives support high speed ripping and do appear
under the audio-read-device list.  AFAIK, all burners (at least SCSI)
support high speed audio ripping and should appear in the audio-read-device
list.

Matthew Zaleski