I might be off base here, since I don't use drakconf or any of that
other GUI rot (I've found that it saves me time in the long run to just
read the HOWTO on whatever I'm going to do and then write the scripts
myself).

But . . . at least with my setup, PCMCIA devices are handled in a
completely different way from all the other devices.

Have you tried simply using the modem?  When you insert the PCMCIA card,
it should set /dev/modem to point to the proper device, and from there
you ought to be able to use PPP to set up your networking without the
necessity to do anything further.

(Actually, you can even set it up so that your networking is set up
automatically when the PCMCIA card is inserted, but I don't believe that
there is a GUI mechanism to take advantage of this capability of this at
all.  Moreover, the Mandrake scripts sort of mess up the intended
line-mode mechanism; I have older scripts I've recovered from an earlier
distribution I had (Caldera, I think), and could send it to you if you
want.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org