toyswins wrote:

> Maybe I'm not getting it right, but I went to your information and built
> the files.  I did the ifup ppp0 and it dialed.  I did the ifdown ppp0
> and it disconnected.  I then made chat-isp and modified the options
> files.  I also made the isp file in peers.  When I tried to invoke pppd
> call isp, nothing.  I went back and verified all the files, quotes, etc
> were correct.  The only thing I can think of is that the modem string is
> bad?  I deleted most of the modem string leaving in only the basics for
> it and still, nothing. I would think it would at least make the little
> lights go blinky-blinky.  Nothing still.

Um, no. This is dail-on demand.  It SHOULDN'T do anything.  The pppd daemon should
just run in the background (check with:
ps -ax | grep pppd
If it's not there, THEN you have a problem.  Otherwise, try to ping an external server
(like ping www.linux-mandrake.com), and the connection will be brought up.  If
not, you then have a problem.  The connection will be brought down if the link is idle
for the specified amount of time.

BTW, as a note, for those of you that want to be able to bring down the link at any
time:
 Go grab the latest pppd (search on freshmeat), and install the daemon binary from
that.  Then, change the holdoff line in /etc/ppp/options to 0.  Now, if you send a
SIGHUP to pppd, it will close the link, but leave the line up.  If holdoff isn't 0, it
will dial back in, however (SIGHUP actually means close the link, then
reconnect).  For some reason, the version of pppd that came with Mandrake 7.1 (2.3.11)
will misbehave if you set holdoff to 0 (i.e., it waits about 5 minutes then dials
in: why, I don't know).  This is nice for those of you that need a way to quickly
close the connection, but want to leave the daemon running.  I'd suggest a simple
setuid root app that signals pppd, and then set its group to pppusers and its
permission to 750.  That makes life even easier.  ^,^

Sean Middleditch