"Bob Puff@NLE" wrote:

> > I think this user has the same problem as I have, that there are NO prompts
> > from the ISP's interface which waits until pppd sends some LCP packets before
> > continuing the handshake.
> >
> > My reading indicates that the PPP session should commence to send the LCP
> > packets after the chat script exits - which _should_ occur when the modem
> > returns the CONNECT message -
> >
> > Are we missing something from the pppd command line?? I have been back and
> > forth over this countless times, d....d if I can find it?
> >
> > John
>
> Hi John,
>
> I suggested to the other guy to modify the chat script so that it simply looks for
>the "CONNECT", and then exits normally.  This should dump you right in to PPP, and
>hopefully it will authenticate you.
>
> You might need the pap-secrets or the chap-secrets file residing in your /etc/ppp so
>that PPP knows what to send - do you have one of these files with your username and
>password?
>
> Try this script and let me know what happens:

Your script was very similar to what I had arrived at but still produced
the same problem - just didn't make sense.

I have tried the method described by Dennis further back in the thread.

It works - well mostly....

2 'oddies' - seems Linux can start NOR shutdown the ppp0 interface - returns
a FAILED message - Il work my way thru that.

The other is that I can't disconnect gracefully - dropping line by disconnecting
the phoneline physically til I work that one out.. off to get another pair of
sidecutters in the morrow <grin>

Cheers

John