Don't waste your time.  No sooner had I sent the message (under NT) than I
discovered the problem.  Using Partition Magic 5 I discovered that star
office had filled up the main Linux partition.  I therefore enlarged that
partition and now Mandrake boots up fine.

This may be a good reason to create a separate /opt partition which would
not affect the system partition.  Mandrake 7.1 created 2 partitions plus a
swap.  The other partition is largely empty.  I am not sure what is in it.

Question remains if the partition filled before Star completed its install
or if it is only partly installed.

Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Registered Linux user  183185