Luis Seidel wrote:

> I've got a PIII (700Mhz, 128MB RAM) with a Soltek SL-65FV+ motherboard and VIA
> chipsets (Apollo Pro 133). The hard disk is a Seagate ST313021A (13GB, wtih
> UDMA66, but configured for UDMA33). The installation process hangs at the point
> of partitioning the disk, and in the console, message is
> hda: nonIDE disk

I have a new Soltek SL-67JV, chosen after rejecting two other
motherboards, and am very happy with it, FWIW.  It drives two IBM
disks, one 6GB ATA33, the other 15GB ATA66, and a CDROM.   You MUST
use the 80 conductor ATA66 ribbon cables and of course have pin 1 at
both ends connected to the red edge.     Of course you must have the
disk power connector plugged in <g>.   Your BIOS setting for that
disk must also be LBA, which can only be changed for an empty disk.

If you have an ATA66 capable disk, why not try running it at ATA66?
I have never heard of any physical disk configuration ability other
than by the motherboard BIOS, and then remembered by the drive itself
- what do you use?  Once set back to ATA66, does Windows still access
it OK?

--

Regards,

Ron. [AU] - sent by Mandrake Linux.