I have Mandrake 7.1 install in two partitions on my hard drive.
One is using linux-2.4.0-test4 and devfs.

A couple of things happen when using devfs. One is that you can't
log in directly as root. You can log into a user account and then
use 'su root' so this is not a major obstacle. The other problem is
you can't run startx from a user account or the root account.

Both of these problems have solutions documented in the README file
that comes as part of the documentation with the kernel.
On my system it's in the directory:
/usr/src/linux-2.4.0-test4/Documentation/filesystems/devfs/.

The fix for the root log in problem is to edit the file /etc/securetty
and add the following to the end of the file:
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8

The startx problem is fixed by editing the file
/etc/security/console.perms
and changing the line:
<console>=tty[0-9][0-9]* :[0-9]\.[0-9] [0-9]
<console>=tty[0-9][0-9]* [0-9][0-9]* :[0-9]\.[0-9] [0-9]

While the fixes listed in the README file worked with Mandrake 7.0
they have no effect with Mandrake 7.1.
I would assume the staff at Mandrake has had some experience with this
since the initialization script rc.sysinit is setup to start devfsd.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to work around these problems.

Thanks,
Brian Chamberlain