On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:48:58 +0100, you wrote:

>What I had in mind was (1) a Linux only solution and (2) using a tape as
>the backup device.  The reason is that many of my company's customers
>(rural telephone cooperatives) would like to become ISPs and my
>supervisor wanted me to come up with a Linux solution; besides, I have
>only one hard drive at home :-).  Thanks.

I personally think that tape is an outdated solution. I equipped my
tower case with "mobile" drive docks, so I can pop HDDs in and out at
will. I back up Mandrake with a Win98 "rescue" floppy (MSDOS 7.0) then
switching to a Ghost floppy. The neat thing about Ghost is that it
backs up all sorts of filesystems - even Martian for all I know. So I
mirror the entire hard drive to a backup hard drive of the same model
and size.

Steve
Stephen B. Browne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]