Until you get it solved:  When you logout and get just the blank screen,
try <Ctrl><Alt><Bkspc>; this is supposed to kill the X server.  If that
doesn't do it, hit <Ctrl><Alt><F1> (or <Ctrl><Alt><F{2 - 6}> if <F1>
doesn't do anything).  This should switch you back to a console where
you can login as root and do a `shutdown -r now' to reboot, the safe
way.

I've never experienced that problem before, AFAIR, but which version of
XFree86 did you select?  The version 4 with Mandrake 7.1 is not the
stablest for all video cards and there may be some updated RPMs under
the updates or cooker directories at a mirror near you.  I'm sure I saw
at least a version 4.01 somewhere.

Wish I could be more helpful. . .

---Norvell Spearman