Hello.
        I have a somewhat old computer here where the IDE controller 0 on the
motherboard is broken : I can install only one hard disk + CD-Rom driver as
(respectively) secondary master and slave.

Win98 has no problem with that and is installed on hdc1. I managed to
install without problem Mandrake 6.0, but when I try with Mandrake 7.1 (I
tryed only as an update) with a disk I got buying Maximum Linux magazine, I
get an error just before the moment I should setup the disk partition
saying something like "cannot find root partition". When I click OK to this
message, nothing happens : the mouse still move but nothing happen if I try
to click on another step of the installation.

I know that my computer is not particularly healthy, but I wonder why Win98
and Mandrake 6.0 are ok, and not 7.1...

Any help is welcome.. :o)

Benoit