On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Over the past few weeks I've noticed some folks were looking for JDK and
> JRE for their machines. I've got them both on my server and if you would
> like I can send you a link by which you can freely download them. JDK is
> version 1.1.8 as is JRE. They're compressed as .tar.gz files and will
> decompress easily using Tar, or Archiver, or yes...even dare I say
> it...Winzip.
>
> I got a hold of these files a week or so ago and was greatly bothered by
> the trouble I had to go to to decompress and open the archives. I can well
> imagine and remember how it would be for someone totally new to Linux to
> have to deal with something as alien as a .tar.bz file. They're a general
> pain in the arse for someone who knows what they're doing if you don't
> happen to have bzip2 just lying around waiting for something to do.
>
> Anyway, send me an email and let me know if you want the URL to download
> the files.
>
> --
> Mark
>
>   ** Registered Linux user # 182496 **

I've been **EXTREMELY** Happy with the IBM JDK 1.3. Nothing is faster or causes
less "collateral damage" to your system. Right now I have my development
webserver running in the background (Apache-JServ-GnuJSP) and I don't get
"Bouncing random CPU usage" wildly gyrating memory consumption or anything of
the like.

You can get it at:
http://www.developer.ibm.com/java/j2/j2indexfl.html

The RedHat RPMs they have worked fine on my Mandrake 7.1 machine.
--
-David Talbot

So long as the government has the power to invade our lives, rummage through
our records, and take what it wants from our income, we will have only as
much freedom and take-home pay as the politicians condescend to let us have.

-Harry Browne Libertarian Canidate for President (www.HarryBrowne2000.org)