On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Andy Judge wrote:

> Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 21:50:57 -0000
> From: Andy Judge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [expert] Dynamic IP and DNS
>
> Does anyone know what services are good for dynamic DNS?  I would like to
> use a Domain Name of my own.  What services are known to be good for this.
> I have looked at dyndns.org.  What others provide this service so I can use
> my own domain instead of dynip, dyndns, etc.

www.dhs.org, but suppose you wanted a free name like www.andrewjudge.com,
you would have to register with NSI, who is responsible for the top level
domains. Andrewjudge.dhs.org would be possible, because the records are
controlled by DHS.org, you may want to read up some about domain names in
general to understand this better.

> Also, what types of problems are typically experienced with this type of
> service?

Most only update the DNS record once a day, about 6:00 in the morning for
mine. Also, DNS takes time to propagate. So if you change a record, some
third world country may not get your new address for days. This rarely
happens, though.

--
Regards,

Ellick Chan