Thanks, that got me to a starting point.  I managed to boot and attempted to
startx.  It crashed with the following error message: (I truncked a lot of stuff
at teh beginning)
-----------------
_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
I could not "find" any fixed fonts on my system, but lots and lots of other
fonts!  Any clues would be appreciated.

Gilligan

--

Gilligan            |                    __o           .oooO