> try setting security level to High or Medium.. I am sure u're running in
> Highest level.. this generally dosn't let users run anything.

I had already used 'msec 4' (medium-high)

When trying to install MySQL from *mdk.rpm files, I try to start the
MySQL server

[root /etc/rc.d/rc3.d]# ./S90mysql start
[root /etc/rc.d/rc3.d]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
000811 20:23:58  mysqld ended

[root /]# cat /var/lib/mysql/myip.home.com.err
000811 20:23:57  mysqld started
000811 20:23:58  Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied
000811 20:23:58  Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket:
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock ?
000811 20:23:58  Aborting
000811 20:23:58  mysqld ended

or trying to set admin password for root, but I also get error 111

[root /]# /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password today
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'
(111)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!
[root /]#

I believe this is still permission problems.  So which directories or files or programs
control sockets ?

This is strange since I am root.

Thanks... Dan.