> Why not plug B and C into the hub also?  I don't see the advantage to
> plugging them directly to the firewall...  Consider this:
>
> internet -> dsl modem -> comp a -> hub -> all other computers
>
> You still have comp a (your firewall) between the internet and all of
> your machines...  hooking up b and c to a is just costing you more work
> with getting 4 nics setup instead of 2 (all you really need).

Also, depending on the age/maturity of the firewall (old machine, or brand
new?) you may be consuming a bit more system overhead than you
need--powering and driving two extra NICs.

Besides, it's easier, and involes less typing, configuring your firewall to
masquerade only one NIC, rather than three. You would, then, also need to
plan for three subnets, and port-forward accordingly. A little more
confusing than having only one subnet and one internal NIC.

--Greg

> On Wed Aug 16, 2000 at 11:22:14AM -0400, Joseph S. Gardner wrote:
>
> > SOHO server setup scenerio "Firewall from hell"
> >
> > The object being to keep it simple but keep it secure....
> >
> > Assuming five computers
> >   comp A = firewall w/ X NIC's
> >   comp B = mail server
> >   comp C = web server
> >   comp D = workstation D
> >   comp E = workstation E
> >
> > also assuming I have dsl modem and one hub
> >
> > internet connection plugged into DSL modem.
> > DSL modem plugged into comp A (firewall)
> > Comp A, D & E plugged into hub
> > Comp B & C plugged into comp A
> >
> > this would mean comp A would require 4 NIC's (DSL, comp B, comp C and
> > hub)

message envoye depuis http://www.ifrance.com
emails (pop)-sites persos (espace illimite)-agenda-favoris (bookmarks)-forums
Ecoutez ce message par tel ! : 08 92 68 92 15 (france uniquement)