(http://forum.mandrakesoft.com/myarticle.php3?sid=20000821065122)

I recently received the following question

I'm thinking of buying a notebook, and installing LM on it. Im in Singapore, and have
problem to found out info about hardware compatibility.

Could you suggest me some brand/model which will work withouth problems?

Well, unfortunately we still do not have a notebook-compatibility DB, but maybe we
could set a preliminary one here on "FAQ" section of mandrakeforum, until we have a
"real" notebook-compatibility DB available.

If you have installed LM 7.1 on a notebook, please answer to this story in a following
way:

 Put notebook-s model/name in the subject line
 add a note (0 to 5) in brackets right after the notebook name.
 Give a description of problems encountered during instalation (if any), and
workarounds you used to get these problems solved

NOTES:

5 Perfect install, no problems, everything works
4 Smooth instalation, but some hardware not configured automatically, or
needs a special driver (for instance, one has to run XFdrake after install to get X
running, or HardDrake to get the sound going)
3 Smooth install, but some hardware not supported at all under Linux
(modem, soundcard)
2 Bad failures: Unsupported graphic card, PCMCIA not working and such...
1 Hands off this model: it is a complete catastrophy under linux!