I would maybe go to www.ask.com and do a search on encryption types.
Basically, different ones give you different levels of security.  I played
with FreeBSD a little but have decided to wait until I've read a little more
before continuing with it.  I do remember the screens that you're talking
about, asking about encryption, etc, and I think the different types are
included for backward compatibility?  (Maybe joining an existing network?).

Just some thoughts, Mike