I'm not sure if this pertains to your problems, but I did run into a problem when I
upped a firewall
from 7.0 to 7.1.  The problem that I had was that I couldn't get mdk 7.1 to dhcp its
address on
eth1. Seeing that eth0 seemed to be working properly, I switched eth0 and eth1 in the
configuration
and switched cables.  I had the exact same problem, so I know it wasn't the NICs.  I
then
reconfigured things so that eth1 was internal and eth0 was the Internet connected NIC.
 When I did
this everything worked.

I looked at the updates for mdk 7.1 and I did find a couple for dhcp, which I
installed on that
machine, but I never got around to testing out the updates.