On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 09:09:47PM -0700, Ralph Dewitt wrote:

>    For a number of resons including the DSL servers are not running right
>    have had to install the DSL modem to my windows machine. My linux and
>    Winboxes are connected using a hub. My problem is that
>    my linux box does not see the internet. I have only the two boxes. One
>    is
>    win98 the other is Linux.

W98 is incapable of acting as a router or firewall without 3rd party
software.

The best solution is to get the modem working on the Linux box. W98 is
hideously insecure, and you are probably in effect sharing a network with
other DSL users in your area. This leaves your W98 box open to cracking.

>    I have configured as follows:
>    Linux::
>    eth0: IP is 192.168.0.254
>    Net mask is 255.255.255.0
>    Gateway is 192.168.0.2
>    Name server is set to earthlink.net
>    with the three ip address of their DNS servers.
>    The winbox is configured as follows:
>    The Tcp/IP card:
>    IP is set to 192.168.0.2
>    Netmask is 255.255.255.0
>    Wins Resolution is disabled
>    Gateway is blank
>    DNS is disabled.

Are you sure DNS is disabled?

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley

PGP signature