Todd Marshall wrote:

> Unfortunately then you didn't read far enough--as I said..I have a working
> Linux installation...I'm not trying to boot from the large drive, just mount
> swap on it...
> the problem is that I cannot seem to make a workable partition table on the
> drive... everytime it rereads the partition table it says that it finds
> problems with it and that it won't work...
> therefore, I believe the problem lies elsewhere--either in the number of
> heads/cyl that the kernel "sees" or else in the partition table itself and
> how I make it...
> that's my problem...just SEEING the hard drive--lilo doesn't care if the
> hard drive even exists :-)

Oooooops...sorry. I misunderstood. I think you may want to check the
partition type to make sure it's the correct type. You can do that with
fdisk. That would be linuxs' fdisk. I believe you can also fix a wounded
partition table with this utility also.

but then again...it could be the hardware itself too. That wouldn't be a
big surprise. Check the Mandrake site's HCL and make sure that the drive
you're working with is on that list.
--
Mark
**  =/\=  No Penguins were harmed       | ICQ#27816299