Would it be appropriate to make that one of the init run level 0/6 scripts.
Give the script a low number to ensure that it runs before the mail process
is killed.  My understanding is the the warning message argument in the
shutdown command is only for those users currently logged into the system.
It doesn't actually send you an email (which would be pretty useless under
normal circumstances).

Just a thought,

Matthew Zaleski