On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 09:44:15PM -0400, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Something occured to me as odd this evening on the way home from school.
> I don't know why I hadn't thought about this before, but as I was
> driving I got to thinking about the dir structure in Linux and there's
> one dir that sticks out as odd more than any other. That would be the
> Lost & Found dir. What the heck is this for anyway?

I don't know if this is true of Linux, but it is true of HP-UX.

fsck uses it. If fsck finds an otherwise intact file with no links to a
directory entry, it builds a directory entry in lost+found. So check there
for missing files. There should be one lost+found directory per partition.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley

PGP signature