Sam,

I took your bet.  I weighed up the time already spent on trying to get
my 'mixed' Slot 1 / Socket CPU setup to work against a kernel
compilation. I just spent the money and installed a second Slot 1.

Linux SMP services started straight up and I now have a screaming
1.4GHz, 200MHz FSB dual CPU machine.   My marriage is saved and I have
promised not to look at my PC for at least 10 days!

Moral: get the right processors for the mobo, make sure they are
absolutely identical and don't cut corners.

Thanks again.

Tom

p.s. I checked out the MaxLinux HOWTO on kernel compilation and now feel
a lot more confident about fine tuning my own kernel - another day!