Hi, my name's Stew, and I do Windoze too. (Haven't made my way through
that 12 step program yet).  There's a technique I use to copy a Win9X
system from one drive to another.

1) Boot up the system, right-click "My Computer" - Porerties - Virtual
Memory - and disable it - despite the warnings.

2) Reboot the system.

3) Open a Dos window.  Use Xcopy with all the various switches for hidden
files, system files, recursing subidrectories -yada, yada to you new
drive. (it should be already partitioned and formatted).

4) Now get your drive's rearranged so the new drive is your boot C: - you
made need to use Linux to make the partition bootable.

5) Re-enable "Virtual Memory".

6) Reboot - Done

Hope this helps,
Stew