On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Vincent Danen wrote:

> On Sat Sep 16, 2000 at 09:10:37AM -0500, Ellick Chan wrote:
>
> > > Just out of curiousity, what's the file size limit with ext2?  I think
> > > it's 2GB but I need to know for sure.  Does anyone know?
>
> > Ext2 is a 32-bit file sys, which can address up to 2^31 kb, or 2gb, as
> > well as reiserfs. A quick way to find out the file size limit is to type
> > 'dd if=/dev/null of=testfile', then 'ls -l testfile'. This only works

That'll give you a zero-byte file.

I just tried it.  An EOF sent to "dd" (which is the output of /dev/null;
see its manpage) will result in "0+0 records in; 0+0 record out."

You need to do:

dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile

instead.  That will give you an infinite-size file.

-- Asheesh.

> > if you have more or equal than the file size limit in free space.
>
> So reiserfs can only have up to 2GB for file sizes as well?  I thought
> it would be bigger?
>
> I'll try that test once I can free up enough space on a drive over
> here.  Thanks!

Hey!  Try my test first!

:-)