VNC is just fine over a local network but I find to be so slow over the
internet as to be unusable, even over DSL. Timbuktu eats its lunch over slow
connections but you can't get that for linux.

I've had to bite the bullet and learn how to use SSH, vi and FTP.

You can control EVERYTHING from a console and it's much faster than any
other method. For me it was a little scary at first and I felt like I was
running blind but that went away. there is a learning curve as you will have
to change config files by hand instead of through the graphical tools. Buy a
good book that explains the config files, (I recommend 'linux network
servers 24-7') and a command reference.

Take notes when you do something so you have a cheat sheet the next time you
do it (saves typing). I keep text files with the few commands I use, for
example one to add a virtual web host, an other to check on my log files,
etc.

When you see how fast you can be with the old fashioned UNIX way of doing
things you'll see why these guys are so fanatical about the command line.
You can be there and make your change before VNC even paints the first
screen.

Get comfortable with SSH before you take the box over to the ISP.

Have fun,

Gavin