Have a look at whats on the same mountpoint as your /temp directory
As far as I know, in MDK 7.1 theres nothing that you need to keep in /temp
(MDK 7.0 was a different story),
I fixed a similar problem because /var was on the same mountpoint and I
could clear a few spoolfiles and logs

Failing that...for Helix, I actually wound up doing it
differently anyway...I downloaded go-gnome, ran it locally and noticed
that it would allow you to specify a directory to store files in (in my
case I stuck all the Helix stuff in /home/andrew/New/)

Hope this helps
Andrew