Jeff Groves wrote:

> I am trying to build a kernel RPM from a kernel source RPM.

A kernel source SRPM?

I can, for instance, get kernel-source and kernel-header RPMs from
rpmfind.net and compile a kernel from those.

That's not the same as getting a kernel-binary RPM (which do exist) or
getting a kernel-binary SRPM, which you would use to build a
kernel-binary RPM... which is different again from getting a
kernel-source SRPM and building a kernel-source RPM from it... which you
would then have to install and build a kernel from.

Yikes.

I don't mean to avoid answering the question (I don't have the answer to
the question of why you can't build your RPM from your SRPM) but I'm
hard-pressed to understand why someone would want to build a
kernel-binary *or* kernel-source RPM from an SRPM unless that person
were planning a customized, large scale deployment. Building RPMs from
SRPMs is never fun =). You can get the same control over kernel features
and modules by simply

1. getting the tarball and compiling a kernel from that

or

2. getting a kernel-source and kernel-headers RPM and compiling a kernel
from those.

If you absolutely are trying to build a kernel-source and kernel-headers
RPM from a kernel-source SRPM, then I can't help you...

-Stephen-