I have an Athlon 700 (running at 750) without hitch with my Mandrake
7.1/7.2
system.  Setiathome runs a good deal faster (versus my previous Celeron
450),
everything I compile does so nice and fast.  No hiccups, no crashes.

I was worried about heat initially.  The pathetic heatsink/fan combo
that came
with my athlon wasn't up to snuff and my home lacks air conditioning.
My athlon
system was a space heater.  I bought a real nice dual fan monster
heatsink/fan
combo and now all is well (I also drilled new vent holes into my case).
YOU
WILL WANT A GOOD HEATSINK/FAN - think Golden Orb and the like.

My linux installation was originally installed on my celeron system
about
a year ago.  Recently I bought an AOpen AK72 mb and athlon 700.  I
popped
out the celeron mobo/cpu, popped in the ak72/athlon, fired it up and...
it booted up without hitch.  Since then I have been upgrading over time
from
Mandrake 7.1 to a 7.2 distro.  I build my own kernels from tarballs but
everything else is coming from 7.2 binary rpms or src.rpms.  The only
problems
I've had I don't think I can blame on the athlon or mobo - they seem to
be
problems with the src.rpms themselves (glibc, xfree86-4.0.1).

My system(s) are homemade, not storebought.  AOPen ATX case, AOpen AK72
mobo,
OEM athlon 700.