Sarang Lakare wrote:

[snip]

> In (2), Linux simply rocks!!! I stress this again.. you don't have to do
> _anything_ to get tcp/ip.. + u don't need the crap of NetBUI and WINS!..
> All you need to do is setup u're IP, DNS etc. etc.. address and you are
> done.. (No rebooting either)

On a decent (NT?) network, all IPs, DNSs, and WINS servers are
communicated by the DHCP server. WINS is essential if you have a
multi-workgroup/domain, multi-segment, multi-subnet network and people
need to be able to access your samba server. In which case it's a 2
minute job to "man smb.conf" and make the necessary edits. But WINS is
still useful sometimes. Also, NT and 98 don't need NetBEUI. Best to keep
the beast off the network.

> And ofcourse, for any s/w you do need to know what exactly you want to do..
> The way you are saying its like since birth you knew how to setup netBUI,
> start TCP/IP, WINS etc. etc..????

At least NetBEUI works almost without fail. That's about it's only
disadvantage. I have machines I can't join to our samba-controlled NT
Domain because the Universities IT department hasn't given the NICs IPs
yet !!!

On network cards, it's a good idea to check the chipsets supported by
your kernel (which is almost always what matters) by running "make
xconfig" on the mandrake source rpm. I prefer Realtek 8029 compatibles,
Realtek 8139s, and Intel EtherExpress.

[snip]
> buy a m/c with all components which are known to work with Mandrake (just
> an example.. coz this happened with me when i helped a friend buy her
> machine)
>
> 1. Install Windows.. (don't put any drivers)
>
> 2. Install Mandrake...
>
> Result : Mandrake is up and running with _all_ drivers in place.. _no_ need
> to do anythign at all

This has been my exprience. Also, how often have you had to re-install
Linux because of a registry error or similar !

Now if only my Video capture (ATI) would work, then I wouldn't have to
spend the next few days trying to get Win98 to use it again !!!