tom strickland wrote:

> My friend is about to buy a modem, and he'd like it to be compatible with
> linux. Buying PCI would be more futureproof than isa or serial. I know that
> winmodems don't work under linux - most software modems in other words. I
> know that pci modems don't work on linux at the moment (not without
> fiddling, and then only some), but will they work under kernel 2.4?

Just like anything else: it depends...

All winmodems are PCI-based, but not all PCI-based modems are
winmodems.  If it costs more tham $65, it *probably* is a
"hardware" modem, as opposed to a winmodem, which is a.k.a.
a software modem.

"Hardware" PCI-based modems will usually advertise the fact,
or say that they are DOS compatible.

Ron