linux looks in pre-specified places for executables to run. these places are
listed in the PATH variable.

you can run executables that are not listed in PATH by giving the full
pathway:
# /home/bob/bin/hello

or if you are in /home/bob/bin/ then try
# ./hello

or you can add  /home/bob/bin/ to your PATH and it will find
# hello

there are lots of docs on how to set the PATH var (check the archive).

cheers,

Gavin