On Tue, 03 Oct 2000, you wrote:

> just wondering what the story is behind the different man folders:
> why not just one?

From the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 4.8.2: Manual Pages

<mandir>/<locale>       A manual page hierarcy
man1                    User Programs
man2                    System Calls
man3                    Library Calls
man4                    Special Files
man5                    File Formats
man6                    Games
man7                    Miscellaneous
man8                    System Administration

There is also a description of each section which I am not going to
reproduce :)

As a side note, I would recommend everyone, new to Linux or old pro, to
take a look at the latest version of the File Hierarchy Standard (2.1). It
is well worth the time for understanding just what a Linux box does and
why things are put where they are.  Not only does it have little gems like
the above man page hierarchy, but also discussions about the use of /opt
vs. /usr/local/ vs. /usr for installation of third party software.

Matthew Micene
Systems Development Manager
Express Search Inc.
www.ExpressSearch.com