The server may well be overloaded.  It defaults to looking
at one specific server.  This too is changeable if you wish.

If you do a "buildkernel --help" you will end up with a
list of the possible options.  Among the options, set by
a commandline switch, is the server from which you get
your kernel.  You could try changing it to another
kernel mirror.

I have, sometimes, also run into a problem
if I do not indicate a specific kernel (don't know
why, it should default to downloading the latest stable),

In such a case, it will connect but then report that it
couldn't find a kernel, or some such.  Getting around that
is simple:  the latest stable kernel, still, is 2.2.17.
All you need to do is add the switch --BKKERNELTOBUILD=2.2.17
and it will then download the proper kernel.

good luck.

Mark Weaver wrote:

> Mike Bergen wrote:
>
> > http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=buildkernel