On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, you wrote:

> Stefan,
>
> I don't know if you've resolved this yet, but in one of Charles' PGP
> messages he says not to worry about it, the tables will take cares of
> themselves...
>
> If you have IP Masquerading set correctly, there is no need to set RIP or
> routing tables. If you see a lag in efficiency, maybe there is another
> problem/process that has used up your CPU/Memory resources. I do know that
> if you are running pump, and have bound anything to port 68 after the first
> DHCP lease is obtained, pump will eventually get very jealous and start
> using more and more resources until it selfishly eats up 98+% of CPU time.
> (It took me a long time to figure this one out!)
>
> How do you have ipchains configured for masquerading? What kind of PC is
> doing your firewalling? Is it also used as a workstation?
>
> --Greg

I have set the default forwarding rule to DENY, then I provided MASQ services
for each individual machine in my home LAN. The PC running it all is an AMD
Athlon 550MHz with a 3com 10Mbps vortex NIC acting as the external interface. I
also have an A-open 10Mbps NIC connected to my home LAN.  MY computer does
double as a workstation but I have seen no performance loss in running a few
apps when MASQing internet traffic. I was only curious to see if statically
configuring my routing table for my internet host would increase overall
system operformance, but I suppose when only MASQing for two other machines
routing has no real afect on performance.