I also have linuxPPC running on a G3. However at this point it is
just an amusement for me. My "real" linux boxes are all intel
hardware. Why? The Mac still remains for me far more useful and
enjoyable as a desktop machine (much unlike windows on my intel
machines) and very rarely crashes despite a boat load of extensions
and continuously having at least a half dozen programs open at once.

Once OSX ships I think it will clearly initially be the choice as a
desktop machine for most Mac heads like myself (we generally love our
operating system for the most part, as opposed to tolerating it like
much of the windows community). However, I don't know how long that
choice will be so clear as linux matures to a more enjoyable
experience for the average desktop user. It will be especially
interesting to see how the Eazel Gnome project (former Mac designers)
competes with OSX for the hearts of the Mac users!
--
Regards,

Eric Mings Ph.D.